File Fact: July 20, 1890 – Telluride consisted of l90 business houses containing two banks, hardware stores, blacksmith shops, jewelry stores, planning mills and photograph galleries; three boot and shoe stores, drug stores, grocery stores, livery stables and barber and bath shops; a paint shop, millinery store, fruit and confectionery store, furniture store, feed store, and a brewery; seven laundries and 11 saloons. There were five lawyers, four doctors, three dentists, two surveyors, two assayers and one insurance man.
50 YEARS AGO
From The Telluride Times, July 18, 1969
Hart’s Peak now official
RICO – A 12,540 foot peak shadowing Rico has officially been named for Hartley Lee, sourdough miner and newspaper columnist who died here in 1966.
“Hart’s Peak” has been approved by the board of Geographical Names, department of the Interior, as the name of a peak two miles east of downtown Rico.
A proposal to name the previously unnamed peak after Lee was made by Dolores Star columnist Charles Engel in May 1968. The Rico town board passed a resolution a month later asking that the mountain be named “Hart’s Peak.”
Lee’s column “Hart’s Stuff from Rico,” began in the Star in 1949
45 YEARS AGO
The Year in Review – July, 1974
From The Telluride Times
The Town park got a beating with little league, slo-pitch, fast pitch, women’s softball scuffing up the turf. Jane Rosenfeld of Telluride was hired as public health nurse of San Miguel County at $4 an hour. Telluride and Norwood were allocated new ambulances and defibrillators (emergency heart stimulation equipment). The hermit moth did widespread damage to wild and domestic plants throughout the Rockies. Four full time paid deputies and 14 volunteers were hired by Town Marshal John Guthrie for the July 4th celebrations. Eighteen miles of new cable were buried by the Ma Bell telephone personnel between here and Placerville. “When the new cable is placed in service … most of the telephone service problems we’ve had in this area should be virtually eliminated.” Eleven members of the Telluride High School Class of 1924 arrived to celebrate their golden reunions. Poor delivery service of the US mail was emphasized when eight riders took the historical Pony Express route from Telluride to Montrose. Judy D’Angelo was the women’s division of the Lunar Cup Race. [Judy, née Long, passed away several years later from leukemia. The high school fields bear her name in commemoration.] Michael Bruce McCosh of Phoenix was killed in a hang glider accident when he struck a house on East Columbia. Four hang gliders dropped from the top of Ajax peak, and John Dunham of San Diego was the all time high glider with 18 minutes air time. An energy conference was held at the Sheridan Opera House. It was announced that Gloria Swanson, Francis Ford Coppola, and Leni Riefenstahl would attend the film festival. A weekend of Chatauqua, replete with puppets, dancers, flamenco guitar, calliope, and the beat of a modern jazz quintet. One hundred gliders competed in the Rocky Mountain Hang Glider Championships. Form maneuverability, landing accuracy, and safety were essential elements of the competition. Application for elk licenses were high. Ma Bell announced plans to erect a microwave “Dish” on the hillside north of Telluride which would provide Telluride residents with direct dialing.
19 YEARS AGO
From the Telluride Daily Planet, July 14, 2000
Nugget receives White House grant
“This is kind of like winning the Academy Award of restoration,” a jubilant Scott Brown told the Telluride Town Council of a grant for the restoration of the Nugget Building recently awarded by the White House.
“People told us we didn’t have a chance in hell,” said Brown of the decision to apply for the historical restoration grant that he calls “the big one.”
But Town of Telluride Historic Planner Kaye Simonson went ahead anyway, completing an application for the national “Save America’s Treasures” program.
From there the grant application made its way through a panel of experts, to the desk of Secretary of the Interior Bruce Babbitt and then on the House and Senate appropriation
The White House called with the news that the Nugget Building restoration project had been awarded a $250,000 grant, beating out hundreds of other applications from around the country.
The Nugget restoration was the only project in the state to be awarded grant money and one of 47 projects recognized among approximately 1,000 entries.
Brown said the grant award not only represents the importance of restoring the 108-year-old building to its former glory, but also the dedication of the community to historic preservation.
The Nugget building, which has been deteriorating for years, was purchased in September 1999 by Bill and Katrine Formby of Austin, Texas. The building has housed the Nugget theatre since the 1930s. It was also the home of the Telluride Elks Lodge from the 1930s to the 1980s.
Bobbie can be contacted at email@example.com. Comments are welcome.