Brian Aitken, 38, of Telluride, was arrested and charged with criminal attempt first-degree murder in connection to a shooting Friday, during which one person was injured.

Authorities have not publicly identified the victim, but they were “transported to a trauma hospital and has since been released,” according to a statement posted on the official Town of Telluride Facebook page. The post was made Friday, but was updated Monday to include more information, including the arrest of Aitken.

The San Miguel County Sheriff’s Office also confirmed the arrest Friday.

“Sheriff’s Office is holding Mr. Brian Aitken, 38, in custody for charges brought by the Telluride Marshal’s Office today (Friday) of criminal attempt 1st degree murder. Telluride Marshal’s Office is in charge of investigation; media and public inquiries should be directed to that agency,” according to a statement posted on official social media channels.

As of Tuesday, Aitken was no longer in custody at the San Miguel County Jail, per online records. The investigation is open and ongoing, and anyone with any information is asked to contact the Telluride Marshal’s Office via dispatch at 970-249-9110 or Chief Josh Comte at 970-728-8448.

The incident occurred just before 9 a.m. Friday in a residence on the 700 block of West Galena Avenue, which is near the Telluride Middle/High School campus. Authorities responded after receiving “multiple” 911 calls through dispatch, according to the town’s updated statement.

“Telluride Marshal’s Office (TMO) was immediately dispatched and arrived on scene a short time after. Upon arrival, TMO deputies observed one male subject who had sustained a single gunshot wound to his lower extremities. The second subject complied with deputies’ orders and was detained at the scene,” the statement continued. “Due to the proximity of the residence to the Telluride High School and Middle School, the school was immediately placed on a temporary lockdown. When TMO established there was no outstanding threat to the school or community, the lockdown was lifted. Officers from Mountain Village Police Department and San Miguel County Sheriff’s Office also responded to the scene and assisted in the initial investigation.”

No other information from the Telluride Marshal's Department was available as of press time Tuesday afternoon.

Telluride School District Superintendent John Pandolfo also sent out a message just before 9 a.m. explaining all Telluride schools would be in lockdown, and there was no information he could share at that time.

Less than 10 minutes later, a second message from Pandolfo explained the lockdown had been lifted and it was a result of a “shooting incident.”

“There was a shooting incident in a residence close to campus. Marshals now have control of the scene with suspect in custody,” it read.

In a third message sent out just after noon, Pandolfo provided more information on the incident from the district’s perspective, including that a parent of district students was injured.

“We do want to let people know that the shooting that occurred (at a house very close to our campus) resulted in a parent of some of our students being injured. That parent is OK and received medical care at the med center. We also want to respect the privacy of the family and cannot share more information at this time, other than that the perpetrator is in custody,” he explained.

Pandolfo explained the incident was naturally jarring to students, and the district was making efforts to support any student who needed it throughout the day Friday.

“We understand that (Friday) morning's lockdown was difficult for many. Many students I have spoken with shared that it was scary, and I'm sure parents were scared as well. We are supporting students in need as the day goes on. Please know that we always have student safety at the forefront. For today's incident, even though it occurred off campus, law enforcement determined our safest course of action was to go into lockdown. We received no additional information at that time and would never question that command when it is given to us,” he said. “We fully understand it is challenging to not have all the information at the onset of an event but the priority of law enforcement is to address the emergency at hand and share information as it becomes available and as time allows. We feel confident in our emergency responders, and fortunate we have them here to help keep us safe. The same goes for our staff; we are here to keep your children safe. We had just completed a tabletop lockdown discussion earlier this week, so the protocols were fresh in minds and everyone did an amazing job in our classrooms this morning. With that said, we continue with our feedback loops on what we need to do to improve further.

“ … Thank you for your continued support and patience as we deal with these very challenging issues. I hope that you all have the most enjoyable Thanksgiving break possible. I am grateful for all that we have here in our community, and that we are here to take care of each other.”